Friday, July 31, 2009

Choices

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-07-21/the-addicts-in-the-kitchen

The link listed above will take you too a editorial piece authored by a gentleman whose scope of the world I can only describe as "broadly linear." So, he's worked in a few kitchens, under a few chefs under various circumstances, conditions, and latitudes. Even so, his resume is a grim read, places that I would never want to visit, let alone subject myself to their "cuisines."
It appears that his opinion of chefs, and pretty much all kitchen workers for that matter, are all ner' do wells with deep-seated predispositions for revelry and illicit activities. It is for this reason that I must post a rhetorical response to an almost offensive opinion, though one is always entitled to their own; here is mine.
I've worked in a few places too, under a few chefs of notoriety, and in various parts of the country. To date, I have never seen drug use in the kitchen, or knowingly let someone work their station while under the influence, or gone out to a back alley for a "fix." I'm appalled at the flagrant nature of these acts, and perhaps he would say that I was naive for saying so. I believe that in the culinary world, like many other businesses, you are either stagnant or falling behind. Unless you are consistently striving to better yourself and those around you, your career's potential will be that of a half-inflated balloon. How is it that rampant drug use empower you, improve your life or capture your potential? Perhaps the author's parent(s) was(were) not supportive of his career choice, and if that's the case, I'm sorry.
Drugs are a crutch for reality, a way to deal with the fact that maybe he just couldn't cut it. Or maybe he was just bored, or it was Tuesday. Yes, the hours are long and the pay is not always ideal and there are staff call-outs and injuries and VIP tables and 300 cover nights. But you do it because you love it, and have a penchant for self-punishment.
However, I'm not so innocent to think that no chefs are habitual users, or even occasional users, of course there are. But 95%? Not possible. It is possible, however, to rise above the fray, demand more from yourself and succeed without a cocaine accessories.
Or maybe I've just chosen to be innocuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment