Friday, July 17, 2009

A Haircut, Saying Goodbye, Starting Over


The few predictabilities of each day are sometimes what keeps me sane. My sanity came in the form of the same assistant for a year and half, and then she dropped a bomb on me. I wasn't shocked, nor was I happy about it. I was now faced with finding a new assistant, which is nothing short of "a needle in a haystack."
So she worked her time, finishing as well as she started, assured and confident. So I did what any good friend does; I bought her a haircut so she would look good for her interviews, gave her a hug and wrote an inspirational note, adding to that my deepest gratitude for all her exemplary service for the cause. She headed back to the big city: excited, nervous and searching.
The really good assistants are akin to weeds; they show up unexpectedly, grow and spread their roots sometimes with very little nourishment. No matter what, they keep growing because they just want to. And then more weeds grow as the seed spreads.

Never stop learning.
Never stop teaching.
Never stop growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment